Today is my last day of work – I enjoyed this opportunity a lot and had a great time working with the teachers this summer.
Yesterday, I ended up staying in the office until about 8 pm, working on the teacher feedback. Today, I came in and finished up all the evaluations and sent them to the teachers. It was a lot of fun working on improving their worlds, but also took a lot of time and effort.
Professor Rodger took us out to lunch, which was super nice of her!
I also started working on drafting a proposal for my independent study. Hopefully, I’ll get approved as a CSURF and continue working on this project during the school year.
Today was very productive – second to last day of work this summer!
I finished editing all the teacher worlds and uploaded them to the lesson plans page. Now I am working on writing feedback for each teacher, telling them how we changed their world and additionally feedback, plus encourage them to continue working with Alice in their classrooms.
Further, I uploaded my photosynthesis world to the Example worlds page and added my collisions tutorial to the Tutorials page under Intermediate worlds. There was a lot of PHP to learn and figuring out the format of how the website works.
I also start downloading the teacher feedbacks that we received from the teachers on their peer’s lesson plans.
We had a talk with Professor Rodger about what we are up to, and final things to do before the summer ends.
I should be able to finish everything by tomorrow.
I finished uploading my portion of the teacher lesson plans onto the website. There were some formatting errors that I had to clear up and I checked all the links that I added to the page. All three of us have finished the first pass of the teacher worlds.
Samantha, Yossra, and I discussed how we wanted to assess the teachers. We decided on creating an Excel sheet in Google Drive and recording how many times the teachers used them in each world, as well as the number of times that they used it efficiently. Tomorrow, we will go over our idea with Professor Rodger and continue from there.
I started editing the teacher’s worlds. For each teacher, we are picking a world and making changes to it and provide feedback. The goal is to have this done before the end of the week.
This week will be my last week of work! However, I am going to continue my research with Professor Rodger in the fall as a part of the CSURF program. I will need to apply to the program and then write up a proposal for my independent study, which will last me for the upcoming school year. At the end, I will need to present a poster and write a thesis paper.
I think I want to focus more on how we can integrate CS into middle school education and change how we assess the worlds that we collect. Currently, we are just noting the different features that the teachers included but we need more assessments to see how students are learning the material. This will require a lot of work on the teachers to get their students to take the assessments but we have a year to plan it. I also want to do more workshops during the school year to expose more students to Alice and programming.
Today, I looked through the teachers’ worlds and noted the features that they included and did not include. I then started writing the PHP to put their lesson plans on the website and will just copy and paste. I’m almost done with this part. As I’m going through the worlds, I’m also editing some of them, and saving new files of their worlds so that we can send them to the teachers later.
I also went through Yossra’s Transformation tutorial. We are going to have to put up our worlds by the end of the week and also finish up the videos that we started during the summer.